YouTube, YouTube Walkout, and COPPA (232 words)
Unfortunately, the resource I had on the story with YouTube and COPPA is ... well, a video on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuScIN4emyo from Folding Ideas, it's good - so in lieu of that, a hopefully-accurate TL;DR from memory:
- COPPA, the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, puts restrictions on how much data can be harvested from children.
- (Yes, I did word that in an intentionally creepy way.)
- YouTube was breaking those restrictions, because of course they were.
- The regulators were like: "look, set up a switch where people making content specifically for kids can flag content as specifically for kids."
- The regulators were /also/ like: "don't worry about making an automated system, that'd probably cause more problems than it fixes."
- YouTube was like "set up a switch and an automated system? Can do!"
- ...and one of the side effects of the automated system flagging your content as for-kids is that it gets demonetized, de-algorithm'd, and so on.
Like, there's probably value in having /some/ kind of system to help catch malicious actors, but YouTube did not have to set up the system the way they did, and they set up the system the way they did because they'd rather screw over lots and lots of content creators than risk getting in trouble.
Hence #YouTubeWalkout from Dec. 10 to Dec. 13.
@packbat the thing about Google and everything it does is that they either automate it or don't do it at all. Their modus operandi is to keep as few human operators as possible.
This is something you learn fast when trying to sell your startup to Google - if you can't make this thing you did completely automated, you can scratch them off your buy list.
@polychrome ...huh. Good to know.
@packbat The real issue is that the FTC basically said "requiring people to say they're 13+ to create an account doesn't count as proof of their age"
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!